We have successfully upgraded Moodle
All courses, course materials, course activities and enrolments will be upgraded to Moodle 2. Please check your courses and if you find any discrepancies please contact email@example.com with the details.
An upgrade to Moodle 2 mean a comfortable transition to an improved version of the same thing, and not a move to a different system. Any disruption will be minor and none of your good work on current Moodle will be lost or need duplication. Moodle 2 will look different, but using it will not be a case of having to learn entirely new ways of working. Most functions will be familiar to current users.
Moodle 2 will look better, function better and will contain both new features and improvements.
Main reasons: improved functionality, integration with other systems and review of current look.
In particular, we are happy to announce:
- Possibility of Moodle - LfY data exchange;
- Updated & improved file management for students and staff, in line with modern "web 2" ways of file handling;
- New educational features, such as rubrics for assessment, conditional activities;
- Improved navigation, including accessible course overview;
- Better editing features, including improved HTML editor and drag and drop.
The decision to move in 2012 was made with input from a Moodle 2 consultation group. In April 2011 it was clear that a planned earlier upgrade was not feasible, but we have since then tested the current version (2.2) and are satisfied that it will be able to provide a robust and dependable service. We are confident that the actual transition of the live service should happen smoothly and without disruption.
This move is the right thing to do to provide the best functioning VLE for LSE staff and students. The coming upgrade is also the necessary thing to do. Our current version of moodle will not be supported by moodle.org after December 2012.
If you have any questions about this, or would like to have a test Moodle 2 sandbox to familiarise yourself with the new environment, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Also keep an eye out for our publicity events (see below).
Support and Training
Moving to Moodle 2
|Feb - May 2012||LT 2011/2012||from April 2012||Monday 25 June 2012|
|see below for more details||Moodle 2 is currently being assessed by students and staff in 16 individual courses. Have a look at the Moodle 2 pilot site.||
We will upgrade Moodle on Monday 25 June 2012. For this reason Moodle will be unavailable, from Monday 25 June until Wednesday 27 June.
Publicity and Events
- If you missed any of the events or briefings and you have a question check the Moodle 2 FAQs or feel free to get in touch with us at email@example.com
- Various dates: Departmental briefings. CLT staff will present to departments about the upgrade and what it will mean in the coming months.
- 22 May: 'Introducing Moodle 2' Echo recording (requires LSE username and password) at LSE Teaching Day event
- 18 April: Your questions answered at CLT Open House.
- 28 March: Special Introducing Moodle 2 lunchtime events.
- 16 February: 'Introduction to Moodle 2' Echo recording (recorded - requires LSE username and password) at CLT Show and Tell event.
Links to Moodle 2 resources:
Moodle 2 snapshot
Click on the above image to see an enlarged screenshot of what Moodle 2 might look like.